On Tuesday, May 1st, 2012, Occupy Wall Street activists prepared for a nationwide series of demonstrations calling for a "general strike".
International Workers' Day (also known as May Day) is a celebration of the international labour movement. May 1 is a national holiday in more than 80 countries and celebrated unofficially in many other countries.
Occupiers from New York, Los Angeles, the San Francisco Bay area, Chicago and more than 100 other cities joined forces with immigrant rights groups and labor unions on May 1st, 2012 for a nationwide series of demonstrations billed as a "general strike".
With the motto, "No work, no school ... don't bank, don't buy. " Union workers and Occupiers marched and rallied side by side.
To document the historic moment, thousands of New Media videographers and filmmakers hit the streets to take part and capture the intentions of a movement that represents the new revolution of the people, one that is continuously rallying against the hijacked government that is today run by corporations.
This is a beautiful documentary of the event as it happened through the eyes of a handful of autono-media artists, students, and occupiers. With four camera teams consisting of LA Film School's talented up and coming filmmakers that included Karen Cuellar, Jose Sousateles, Andrey Capelson, Jon Grant and Andy Herrera, this short film conveys the perseverance of the 99% in our battle against the corruption and greed of an embedded system guarded well by the wealthy and remainder 1%.
Directed and edited by Bianca Smith, produced by Ben Jumper, Bianca Smith, and yours truly, Yvonne de la Vega. Watch it here, on YouTube or at Occupy.com's WATCH page.
Love & As Always,