This is a draft statement co-created by OLA-ers through compilation and summary of what has been collected and discussed about what we would like to see done nationally by our government. This would be a statement in addition to a much shorter 1/4 page flier which we will distribute freely; this would be for those who request more information. Obviously, there would also have to be a similar list for state and local demands made for outreach here in LA. Also, this statement of objectives does not preclude us from any other actions or tactics. Please offer your input below. GA consensed to creating a canvassing campaign last week--one which would include statements about our position on the validity of the upcoming elections. It is due to come back to GA one week from tomorrow, so please offer any input you have as soon as possible!!!!
VOICE TO THE VOICELESS: A DRAFT DECLARATION, 2/22/12
We, the people, hold that all life on earth is interconnected and endowed with certain natural and inalienable rights. We are deeply concerned with the violations of human rights perpetrated by the U.S., both here and abroad, and fear for the future of our planet. We express here our moral and spiritual outrage regarding the failures of our political and economic systems, which have led to endless war for profit and other abominations. Because our government no longer represents us, but only the rich and powerful who support them, we have little faith that it will address our grievances. We call for wide-spread, unified support from all people, because only with a strong united front can we hope to achieve our goals.
Giving voice to the voiceless, and rising to the challenges posed by tyranny, we stand in solidarity with one another and all people who strive not just to survive, but to lead lives of integrity and freedom. In contrast to globalist agendas, some of the national objectives we have agreed upon or are considering are to:
· Stop all the wars; bring home and care for our troops.
· Promote world peace through reducing foreign bases and accelerating disarmament.
· Ensure prosecution of those here responsible for violations of international laws on war and torture, including here at home, regardless of their political or economic status.
· Overhaul the banking and economic systems so that they serve all of the people, and take fair remuneration from those responsible for the mortgage fraud crises. Stop illegal foreclosures.
· Ensure that all have the necessities which support life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness, including food, housing, and education.
· Ensure that all have access to safe, holistic healthcare, including herbal medicine.
· Stop discrimination in our society based on race, creed, color, sex, sexual orientation, immigrant status or any other stigmatized factors or labels.
· Recognize and support the rights of workers to organize and strike.
· Free political prisoners, stop police brutality, and end political repression; protect our constitutional rights and repeal unconstitutional “terrorist” laws.
· Reclaim the educational system, using the most effective, natural models for teaching truth.
· Ensure that the rights of those who are incarcerated or institutionalized are respected.
· Protect and expand the rights of the environment and animals.
· Ensure safe food, water, and environments for all.
· Transition to safe natural energy, including wind, land-efficient biofuel and solar. Conserve energy.
· Support and encourage sustainable development and natural communities.
· Create a wise, fair government tax and spending system.
· Create an egalitarian, open political system which truly represents the people.
· Punish government and corporate officials and politicians who are corrupt.
· End corporate “personhood”. Get money out of politics.
· Divert money from war efforts to help fund social programs.
We envision a new society for our nation and our world, one in which compassion, wisdom, and egalitarianism rule, rather than militarism, materialism, prejudice and tyranny. If our government cannot fairly represent us, then we the people must rise up. We encourage people to join us and participate in teach-ins, direct actions, creative protests, non-violent resistance, civil disobedience, non-participation, boycotts, strikes and in whatever other peaceful ways they feel called.