Here's something that is being proposed for the Objectives and Demands Committee and I wanted to solicit thoughts and comments to help our process along:
My suggestion would be that we focus on Objectives/Goals, which are broader and less specific and therefore easier (I think) to reach consensus upon. We can make the proposed Objective very condensed and brief, which will also facilitate a consensus. And I think that we have all learned enough about this Occupy to reasonably craft something(s) that reflect the underlying consensus that is already latently present. I propose the following QUICK DRAFT:
A major Objective of Occupy LA is to END CORPORATISM on the National, State and Local levels. We define CORPORATISM as the nexus between Corporations and the State. Some examples of this nexus are:
- the pervasive influence of lobbyists throughout government
- the revolving door between the private and public sectors as corporate executives and lobbyists become governmental regulators and legislators and then move back into the private sector again.
- The awarding of public contracts to private political cronys
- The dependency and predominance of the public Electoral process on private Corporate funding
- Commonplace Legislative action blatantly prejudicial to the public interest and grossly beneficial to favored Corporate interests
- The elevation of Corporations to the legal status of persons enjoying the rights and privileges of citizens.
The marriage between Corporations and Governmental Power has overthrown the basic principles of Rule of Law, Equality Under the Law, Due Process and the protection afforded to the Citizens of the United States by the Constitution. As long as the above described condition is allowed to persist, the interests of the People will be prejudiced in favor of the Corporate interests of the 1%. We will seek out all peaceful means, including citizen legislative, legal and protest action to END CORPORATISM.
Feedback on the above would help us move forward more quickly on something that GA can quckly approve. Please discuss! Thank you.