MIC CHECK! -- MIC CHECK!
Note: The format has changed... Links are not shown explicitly. Please use Web Versionfor best viewing experience. Let me know if you have any trouble viewing this email!
- Web Version of this page (for best viewing experience)
- Occupy San Diego Email Blasts -- Archive of all Email Blasts
- Occupy San Diego -- Main Occupy San Diego wiki project page
- Detail pages: All Occupy San Diego Media; Occupy San Diego Events; All Occupy San Diego Announcements
- Occupy San Diego Calendar -- Month-at-a-glance calendar
- DONATE HERE -- This is the only official donation page. Do not use other "scammer" sites! (Please Donate today!!!)
GA notes from Benjamin Knob:
I. Upcoming events as of November 17th -- Announced by Outreach
- Occupy Your Corner-
- Description -- Occupy Your Street Corner starts this Wednesday and any Wednesday after that, during your break, lunch break, between dr appointments, in front of your hospital, grocery store, post office, or neighborhood corner, wherever!
- Just make a sign that says what you want to see changed in the world followed by occupyphx.org (or the appropriate occupy near you) so people can get more info. Then hold your sign up wherever you are for however long you can. Take 10 minutes out of your day to hold a sign. Or a 1/2 hour...or 2 hours.... or 2 days. Occupy on your breaks, during lunch with the rest of us, or whenever you can wherever you can.
- Occupy your Street Corner on your lunch break, wherever you are, for however long you can, all over Phoenix and beyond. This idea brought to you by the universe (it started on livestream and was brought up by 3 people separately on and offline as well.... so it sounds like some synchronicity we should follow up on)
- Rise and Decolonize- Description
- NATIONAL-CALL-TO-ACTION: RISE & DECOLONIZE! LET’S GET FREE RALLY -- DOWNTOWN SAN DIEGO - CIVIC CENTER, Nov 18
- (This already happened so I have deleted the rest of it -- it was blasted earlier.)
- Knock for an Occupation
- Saturday, November 19th, 10:00am at the Civic Center Plaza!
- In our continued effort to find a sustainable space for Occupy San Diego, we realize that outreach and public support are key! So we at Canvass for a Cause are doing what we know best: canvassing! We need YOU to join us!
- You will be joining us as we do both street and door-to-door outreach to talk to the public about what the Occupy movement fights for, why it's important, and how they can get involved!
- We will be collecting petitions to support a resolution in the City Council to support a space (online petition here: http://www.copswiki.org/Common/OccupySanDiego#PETITION_to_request_support_by_C ) and asking supporters to write letters to their Council Member, to donate, and to facilitate teach-ins.
- Not sure you can talk about the issues? Don't worry! We will have a training w/ coffee and friendly faces at the Civic Center, as well as a script with talking points and QUESTIONS that people have to think and respond to... this model is very successful and has given us a 38% persuasion rate on gay rights issues!
- This is the best way to support our occupation: getting more people involved and clarifying our message to the public!
- This Saturday we will be canvassing door-to-door in Hillcrest and street canvassing in downtown.
- Our hope is that this will continue to other neighborhoods after this Saturday. We'd eventually love to see a multi-lingual canvassing day.
- Don't Miss the first "Knock 4 Occupy!"
- Immortal Technique
- 8PM Saturday November 19th at Porters Pub at UCSD 9500 Gilman Drive, La Jolla, CA, 92093
- Immortal Technique, real name Felipe Coronel, was born on 19th February, 1978 in Lima, Peru and was raised in Harlem, New York. Immortal Technique is an hip hop artist and political activist, his lyrics focus on socio-political issues. The views expressed in his lyrics are largely a mixture of commentary on issues such as poverty, religion, and racism. He also focuses on the harsh resulting realities of criminality in the housing projects of New York
Occupy San Diego Needs volunteers for fliering!
II. Projects Announced by Direct Action
- Occupy Foreclosures
- Direct Action at Walmart
Direct Action committee meets at 5:30 at the civic center plaza. Attend the committee to get involved in these projects.
III. Announcement from “Us” committee November 25th is Black Friday. Let’s make it Holiday Shopping Transfer Day. Tell everyone to stand in solidarity with the occupy movement by shopping at small mom and pop shops instead of large mega-stores. Support local small businesses this holiday season!
IV. Announcement from Food We need food.
V. Announcement from Finance Reminder to Media: Please get the DONATE button back up on the regular occupy SD websites.
- Hunger Strike -- John Kenney continues his hunger strike, now in day 11. He is requesting that the City come to the table and discuss the right of Occupy San Diego to conduct protests in the form of an encampment.
- All Occupy San Diego Media -- Visit this web page to review all prior media collected for email blasts.
- "We Are the Many" by Makana, sung to the gathering of world leaders recently in Hawaii (the next Dylan??)
- How Wall Street Occupied America, Bill Moyers recounts the history of the systematic corporate takeover as planned in the Powell Manifesto in 1971.
- Articles I missed after Nov 16 raid:
- Historical article about Carl DeMaio, FYI
- Occupy Clairemont Bridge - Occupy San Diego -- Video by Andy Trimlett
- OccupySD -- A Peaceful Place -- Nice overview of the cool aspects of Occupy San Diego.
- Video -- I'm tired of thinking outside the box
- An Unfortunate Potential Situation for the Occupy Wall Street Movement Interesting article by John Dean, who worked as a protest liaison under Nixon.
- Photo Montage, Occupy San Diego to Dylan "All along the watchtower" -- Positive photos.
- Police Capt Ray Lewis Joins Protest: Says Police Are Corporate Mercenaries! -- Must see for every protestor! He explains how the police departments work. They first look for the leader, to take him/her out. "If someone asks who's the leader, that is a undercover police officer"
- Small Business Saturday (day after Black Friday)
- Occupy Wall Street: The Most Important Thing in the World Now -- By Naomi Klein - October 6th, 2011 -- Don't miss this one. It is even more true today.
- Lessons of a Police Chief: Militarization Is a Mistake -- The police chief who oversaw Seattle's crackdown on WTO protesters learned the dangers of militarization. His advice for a creating a police force that truly serves and protects communities.
See All Occupy San Diego Announcementsto read all previous announcements about
- Where we meet, how to recover confiscated property from the San Diego Police Department, information for people were arrested, etc.
Unless noted, all events are at "Freedom Square" (the San Diego Civic Center Plaza, 1200 3rd Ave. San Diego, Intersection of 3rd Ave. and B St.)
Unless otherwise noted, we meet daily as follows:
- 4 pm -- Finance Committee Meeting, Downtown Johnny Brown's, Mon. thru Friday
- Each committee should send a representative to this meeting! Budget is currently being defined.
- 5:30 pm -- Committee meetings -- many meet at the "big circle" (the part of the plaza where there's map of San Diego in a big circle) with very few exceptions.
- 7pm -- General Assembly (Civic Center Plaza)
- Occupy San Diego Calendar -- Month-at-a-glance format with all planned events shown.
- Occupy San Diego Events -- list of all events, past and present, listed in the email blast, with detailed information. (Edit this to add events)
- 19 Nov 2011 - (10a) - Knock for an Occupation -- Civic Center Plaza-- street and door-to-door outreach, collecting petitions for support of City Council Resolution.
- 19 Nov 2011 - (11a-2p) - Occupy Imperial County Meet and Greet Potluck-- Adams Park, El Centro
- 19 Nov 2011 - (11:00a-11:30a) - Teach-In at Freedom Square:Nonviolent Revolution: Noncompliance and Withholding Consent, Mark Smith
- 19 Nov 2011 - (11:30a-1:00p) - Teach-In at Freedom Square:Theatre on the March (Continued), Michael Mufson
- 19 Nov 2011 - (1:00p-4:00p) - Civil disobedience workshop and training, Hal Brody of the Peace Resource Center of San Diego, 3850 Westgate Place, San Diego, CA 92105. To RSVP/more information: email@example.com
- 19 Nov 2011 - (8p) - Immortal Techniqueat Porters Pub at UCSD 9500 Gilman Drive, La Jolla, CA, 92093
- Immortal Technique is an hip hop artist and political activist, his lyrics focus on socio-political issues. The views expressed in his lyrics are largely a mixture of commentary on issues such as poverty, religion, and racism. He also focuses on the harsh resulting realities of criminality in the housing projects of New York
- 20 Nov 2011 - (12p-4p) - Occupy Corners in Chula Vista -- Corners of F St and 4th Ave, F St. and 3rd ave, G St and 3rd ave.
- 20 Nov 2011 - (11:00a-1:00p) - Teach-In at Freedom Square:Discussion about the OWS List of Grievances called 'Declaration of the Occupation of New York City
- 20 Nov 2011 - (1:00p-2:00p) - Teach-In at Freedom Square:How Privatization and Outsourcing Benefits the 1%, Norma Rodriguez, Center for Policy Initatives
- 20 Nov 2011 - (2:00p-3:00p) - Teach-In at Freedom Square:The Poetry of Revolution: Milton's Satan, Abe Stoll, Associate Professor of English, University of San Diego
- 20 Nov 2011 - (3:00p-4:30p) - Teach-In at Freedom Square:Who is the 99% and how do we build unity?,Abel Macias,Chicano Studies, San Diego City College & Party for Socialism and Liberation
- 22 Nov 2011 - (9:30a (?)) - Court Hearing on Lawsuit regarding Municipal Code 54.0110 -- Federal Court (more detail coming). Read lawsuit documents
- 22 Nov 2011 - (6:00p-9:00p) - Civil disobedience workshop and training,Hal Brody of the Peace Resource Center of San Diego, 3850 Westgate Place, San Diego, CA 92105 To RSVP/more information: firstname.lastname@example.org
- 23 Nov 2011 - Occupy Your Corner -- Occupy Your Street Corner esp. at lunch or at any time and on any corner.
- Protest during the busiest shopping day of year : Black Friday -- https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=123698691073724
- Occupy North County
- Regular Events: Saturdays, Highway 101 & Encinitas Blvd, starting at noon.
- 12:00 PM - Teach in, orientation and committee meetings
- 1:00 PM- RALLY
- 2:00 PM - General Assembly
- Occupy Oceanside
- Next event: November 14th at 4pm, starting at Oceanside Civic Center. March at 4pm, GA at 5pm.
- Occupy Escondido
- Organizing & they are talking about occupying soon. They meet twice a week for now, but the days and times change.
- They want more input on the next meeting on their FB page
- Occupy Mira Mesa
- Occupy Mission Bay
- Occupy Imperial County
- Women Occupy San Diego
- Occupy Chula Vista
- Occupy San Diego SDSU
- Occupy Mesa College
- People's Assembly at UCSD (in solidarity with Occupy Wall St.)
- Occupy Cal State San Marcos (CSUSM)
- Occupy Together
- Interoccupy Group Consensus Proposal -- proposes a mechanism for accepting proposals for processing so as to reach global consensus.
- National Occupy Conference Calls: There are weekly conference calls between Occupy sites. We need reps from appropriate committees to join in the conference call. Unfortunately, it is Monday at 7pm, our GA time.
- Links to live streams of many occupy sites: http://www.occupystreams.org/
- Education Committee website http://www.osdedu.com]]
- Facebook Community Page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Occupy-San-Diego/198003106936678
- Facebook Group Page: http://www.facebook.com/OccupySanDiego
- Facebook group page: http://www.facebook.com/groups/164668860284106/
- http://occupysandiego.org/ -- (OB Rag site.)
- http://occupysandiegoca.wordpress.com/ -- News
- http://occupysd.weebly.com/ -- Backup website
- Summary of our march on Oct 7, by Alternate Focus - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbNT3ZEuaxY
- Live video stream: http://www.livestream.com/occupysandiegolivefeed
- Occupy "Celly" Text Blaster:
- Sign up and get text messages whenever anyone else on the list sends one, like an email discussion list.
- To Join just text @occupysd to 23559
- Description of the service: http://textoccupy.com/about
- List of all the Occupy sites that are using the service, which they call CELLS: http://textoccupy.com/
- Web page for our CELL, which is called @occupysd: http://textoccupy.com/occupysd
- List of the SMS commands the service uses: http://cel.ly/commands
- VARIOUS FLIERS are available at this link (Thank you to Julie A. Kramer) -- http://www.julieannakramer.com/OSD.html
- http://www.movementforademocraticsociety.org -- Movement for a Democratic Society (MDS) has some interesting ideas for Occupy Movement.
Since we get new subscribers every day much of the email blast will be the same as the last one. BUT, you can view JUST THE DIFFERENCES if you want to, so you can read it faster.
- Go to the web version of the email blast.
- Scroll to the bottom. Click "More Topic Actions"
- Go to the sections "Compare Revisions"
- Compare the current topic ("3" in this one) to 1 (which is the prior day's)
- Click COMPARE.
- This does not show some changes, like images, so you should scan the original email too.
- At the bottom of the original topic, you can view any older version (click the numbers) or comparisons ("<") by clicking on the list. (Doesn't work for our case of comparing one day to the next because there are usually several revisions before the final one, so you have to use the "Compare Revisions" function.
SEND THIS LINK AND TELL OTHERS TO SUBSCRIBE: http://lists.citizensoversight.org/mailman/listinfo/occupysd
If you have:
- lists of emails that should be subscribed
- events or notices that should be included
- needs or wants to request from our supporters
- specific requests for volunteers
SEND TO: email@example.com (Media Committee Member)
and we'll work to get that information included in this daily update.
DISCLAIMER! Although we will do our best to make sure this list of events is accurate, changes may occur frequently! Please check your email daily to make sure and also the various web sites.
Edited by Ray Lutz with help from Email Blast Team.
Occupysd mailing list