Minutes for OccupyLA General Assembly 10/4/2011
Facilitators: Arturo and Anastasia
Stack Takers: Mike, Louis
Note Taker: Brian
Arturo – Welcome and explanation of the order of the meeting. Beginning of Committee Reports
Rudy – Medical Cmt. - I live off less than minimum wage so this is personal for me! If you have any medical issues, come to our tent. We need:
-thick 30 gallon trash bags to help people stay dry
-Ice for sprains, like one bag per day, and bags to put the ice in
-a rolling cabinet for supplies
-head lamp for medical work after dark
From diabetes to headaches, just come by. If you are sick with a contagious disease, please stay in your tent or go home. Remember to sanitize your hands.
Anastasia and Rob – demonstration of hand signals for interacting in the
Nicki Marquez - Representative from Justice for Janitors - speaking in Spanish with a translator – Representing the thousands of janitors that clean the downtown office buildings. Thank you to the 20 of you who came out to our march to demand justice for the County Workers. When there is a fight, the janitors will stand in solidarity with you! An injury to one is an injury to all!
Arturo – Begins discussion of the consensus process.
-Reads the agenda:
Proposals from individuals
Please join the committees, they need your help
Anastasia and Rob – Demonstrate and explain the hand gestures for communicating in the general assembly.
-Applause is raised hands, wiggling fingers
-Agreement is a wave
-Point of clarification is to raise two fingers
-Disagreement is wave hand up and down in front of you face
-Hard Block indicates that you cannot participate in the action or that the action being suggested violates the points of unity or solidarity of the movement and is shown by crossing your arms over your head.
Arturo – Committee updates and proposals, during this process, get on the stack with the stack takers if you have something you want to say
Anastasia – We want to read the Points of Solidarity of the Occupy Wall Street General Assembly.
“Through a direct democratic process, we have come together as individuals and crafted these principles of solidarity, which are points of unity that include but are not limited to:
Engaging in direct and transparent participatory democracy;
Exercising personal and collective responsibility;
Recognizing individuals’ inherent privilege and the influence it has on all interactions;
Empowering one another against all forms of oppression;
Redefining how labor is valued;
The sanctity of individual privacy;
The belief that education is human right; and
Endeavoring to practice and support wide application of open source.”
Matt – Demands Committee
-Demands Committee will change their name to the Objectives Committee
-Similar ideas in the web docuements will be linked by tagging them
-Objectives Committee will formulate objectives into more concise language on an ongoing basis
-Get familiar with the demands from other Occupations
-Meetings will be daily at 5:30p by the portapotties and then move to find a quieter spot
Felipe – Comment on the questions that people in the GA may have, maybe we should ask questions during the open mic and only do points of clarification right now. No consensus reached.
Cheryl – Welcome Committee and Accessibility Committee
-Please sign onto the lists of committee meetings at the welcome tent. We also have supplies list which we need. We have some tents and tarps, some sleeping bags, sleeping mats, box of underwear, ponchos, etc. Welcome tent moves sometimes, but come find us.
-Accessible 24hr bathroom across the street. Need to put cones up near tripping hazards.
Ryan – Comment/Announcement
-Showers will be available from people volunteering their homes, contact Ryan
Evan – Print Media
-Giant Map and Schedule will be posted on paper at the Welcome tent. We may be able to hook up a nationwide print contract with a printer to make this way cheaper.
Callie – Finance Committee
-Portapotties are still available and will continue. Also if you know of an organization that can offer us a tax shelter please come to the Welcome tent.
-Money donations: checks payable to OccupyLA but may take time, or you can make checks out to individuals you know in the area. Also, you can make payments to the Paypal Account on occupyla.org
-Physical donations should be mailed to
c/o UPS Store
645 W. 9th St.
Los Angeles, CA 90015
-We know that tax shelters do limit some political actions. Discuss later.
______ – Welcoming Committee feels disorganized, but can we start taking a count of how many people are here?
Cheryl – Please bring your resources and offers of projects to help out to Welcome tent.
Rob – Education/Arts/Entertainment Committee
-We want to collect donations of cold weather gear to send to Occupy Wall Street in solidarity because it is so cold there.
-We meet after GA beside the steps and we need to have help to share responsibilities.
Jarrod – Going to NYC this weekend, let me know if I can help bring supplies.
Kei – Southern Poverty Law Center is an antiracist organization that monitors white supremacist groups around the country. I want to donate copies of their magazine to the OccupyLA.
Kendal – I am a knitter, lets knit for NY!
_____ - Civic Engagement Committee
-City Council Meeting tomorrow and City Councilman Eric Garcetti will be introducing a resolution in support of OccupyLA at 9:00a.
-Training on making public comment tomorrow
-Saturday, social and economic justice organizations are invited to table on Saturday starting at 9am. Bring tables and chairs (we don't have any to spare)
-Next committee meeting is 6:30p at the welcome tent
_____ - Make Banks Pay! Join SEIU to protest tomorrow at 12:00p at Bankers Plaza
Daniel – Media Committee
-We need Volunteers!!!
_____ - Public Relations Committee – Outreach
-Decent local news coverage, police called us peaceful. Media requests have been coming in. Need volunteers.
-We will be doing a media spokesperson training
-Next meeting every day at 6:00p at the welcome tent
-450 people are watching us on livestream!!! Tables of information are being set up
-Next Meeting is 6:00p at the welcome tent with the Public Relations committee.
[The Committee Against Police Brutality (CAPB) approached the microphone to give their update]
Cheryl – The Committee Against Police Brutality is not a recognized committee.
[arguing, eventually CAPB approaches the mic]
Alejandra – Committee Against Police Brutality
-We have been building a facebook group.
-We have been meeting and planning for workshops on know your legal rights, defending yourself, Secure Communities program against immigrants, historical studies of police interventions in social movements, outreach to various communities that are targetted by police brutality.
We want to establish transparent and accountable communications with the police liaison committee.
Paul – I joined the Committee Against Police Brutality facebook group, asked questions critical of the committee and got banned.
Gray – I consider this a very dangerous committee. The police have been very cooperative with us.
[crowd members ask “what's your question?”]
Gray – My question is what would a police officer think if they saw this facebook page?
Arturo – No preconditions have been set on committees as I understand it. We will continue with the agenda and the process
Rob – Should this be discussed here at GA? Peoples' minds change through discussion.
Arturo – More questions for the committee?
Lee – As CAPB, what will you be doing?
[crowd members “they already said what they would do”]
____ - Do we want all committees to have to be under the GA or can they be separate?
Calisa – If the FB has “OccupyLA” in it, we need to vote on it here at GA
Alejandra – CAPB
-We put together this group to discuss actions and plans
Anastasia – If you put “OccupyLA” next to the name of your committee on the Facebook page, you need to bring it to GA
Francis – Why do you have a right to kick someone off the CAPB OccupyLA facebook page?
Kwazi – Point of Process. The difficulty here is that the facilitation committee lost its members and notes. New people volunteered and are learning about the process. Move this to the facilitation committee to decide how to proceed.
Alma – We are taking a lot of time here. The majority of GA agrees with the trainings we proposed. The CAPB will go and meet and discuss what has happened here and your concerns. When we have an update we will bring it to the GA. The next CAPB meeting will be after GA on Thursday.
Cole – Security Committee-Please
-The security committee only exists to assist and we heard that there was a concern that one of us went into someones tent and that should never happen. We assure you we will not do that. Thank you.
Sergio – Education Committee
-Next meeting is at the palm tree by the street in front of these steps after GA. We will be building a workshop schedule to bring us in.
_____ - Action Committee
-Roberto de la Cruz of SEIU wanted us to know they stand with us. We will be forming teams to conduct outreach at Los Angeles City College, East Los Angeles City College, and Loyola Marymount.
-Los Angeles County Action Network fights fro Human rights for the homeless, and are inviting us to attend their “Counter-Safety Walk” to counter the “Safety March” of an anti-homeless gentrification organization. It will begin at 5:00p at the corner here and then march to the LACAN office on Wednesday
-Friday will be an antiwar protest on the 10 year anniversary of the invasion of Afghanistan at the Federal Building
-We would like to propose an action in solidarity with the 10/15 Global Day of Action for the occupation movement. Occupy Rodeo Drive.
-Next meeting will be at 5p at the bottom of the stairs here.
Arturo – We will decide on each proposal during the Proposal Section once the Committee Reports are complete
Doniel – Web Team
-4p tomorrow there will be a meeting of the “Committee of Committees” where we will discuss getting a committee page up on the website for announcements and updates. Also indvidual blogs can be created by anyone once they register on the website.
-We are planning to get a wifi hotspot
-We are also planning a Twitter training at the media tent at 9:30a at the media tent tomorrow
_____ - Peoples' Community Committee
-If worse comes to worst, what can we do as a group to stay safe? We want to plan Know Your Rights trainings, and spaces for testimonials, and experiences about experiences with police. We are working with the Committee to End Police Brutality.
Anastasia – Thats good. It looks like you're not just trying to cause trouble.
Steve – Keeping it Real Committee
-We want to build community and build better relationships with each other. We will meet three times a day and work with other committees to keep it real.
Lucero – Rise and Shine Committe
-Exercise group in the morning before breakfast.
-Next meeting 8:00a at the breakfast table
Anastasia – Food Committe
-2nd day working with offsite kitchen.
-Need volunteers to do dishes and to transport the food.
-Starting tomorrow, no more disposable plates or utensils
-Next meeting at food tent after GA
Arturo – Now for individual proposals
Megan – We are all angry. Breathe. Occupy Tulsa has posted a really inspiring message about how to make contributions to the movement without bringing our egos into the discussions. If you are here to disrupt or sabotage us, it will be your shame.
Joe – Gives presentation of policy proposals and will continue working with the demands committee
_____ - Keep communications uniform please, hard blocks are about fundamental ethical issues.
_____ - Security
-Meet behind the bus stop now
Mike – Antiwar meeting tomorrow
-Protest Wells Fargo CEO's house tomorrow. The bus will arrive here at 4:30 to pick people up.
Hosana – Please support a movement to decertify the Federal Reserve system.
______ - Railroad workers United has voted to endorse OccupyLA
Lucero – Can smokers please smoke by the sidewalk to spare those of us who are sensitive to the smoke from having to breathe it.
Anastasia - Ron Paul supporters will be here at 10a on Saturday, but make sure that they are not able to astroturf us.
______ - Anecdote “There has never been a revolution in the U.S. Because we can't get over our sectarian bullshit.”
Conrad – Starting Study group for real discussion about political issues.
Alejandra – Committee Against Police Brutality
-There is a flier circulating with our names and pictures on it saying we are provocateurs and pushing us out so the police can target us that are in the committee.
Candace – I think it is really easy to talk about peace and love but if we will be treating each other like the way we are treating this committee, we aren't going anywhere.