The Objectives & Demands committee will be bringing this proposed OLA objective to the GA tonight (Sat Nov 26). We read it to the GA last night as an announcement.
A major objective of Occupy LA is to END CORPORATISM on the national, state and local levels. We define CORPORATISM as the merger between corporate and the state power. Some examples of this nexus are:
· The pervasive influence of lobbyists throughout government
· The revolving door between the private and public sectors as corporate executives and lobbyists become governmental regulators and legislators and then move back into the private sector again.
· The preferential awarding of public contracts to private interests that are politically and econmically connected
· The dependency and predominance of the public electoral process on private and corporate funding
· Commonplace legislative action blatantly prejudicial to the public interest and grossly beneficial to favored corporate interests
· The elevation of corporations to the legal status of persons enjoying the rights and privileges of citizens.
· Wars waged in the interest of corporate profits.
As long as the above described condition is allowed to persist, the interests of the People will be prejudiced in favor of the Corporate interests of the 1%. We will seek out all peaceful means, including citizen legislative, legal and protest action to END CORPORATISM.